[Cuis-dev] FileMan and FileStream?

KenD Ken.Dickey at Whidbey.com
Mon Dec 21 15:48:03 CST 2015

Hi Phil,

Sorry, decades of writing code in Scheme, Lisp, and the like.

I am so used to with-input-from-file and the like that I forget about usage patterns where a file is to be open for extended durations.  I tend to use a database or some other form of persistent storage in these cases.

Perhaps a renaming would help.

Rather than 'private', which has a special meaning in Smalltalk usage, such cases should be prefixed 'primitive', 'unsafe', 'base', or 'lowlevel'.

A persistent storage API might be an alternate solution, but changing the prefix is simplest.

Masashi, are you following this?  What is your view?

-KenD