[Cuis-dev] FileMan and FileStream?

Phil (list) pbpublist at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 13:04:11 CST 2015

Ken,

On Fri, 2015-12-18 at 23:33 -0500, Phil (list) wrote:
> I'm not arguing against the *Stream: methods as they are a better
> solution for the use cases in which they make sense.  It even makes
> sense to point people to them for many/most situations.  I am arguing
> for public *Stream (i.e. currently named private*Stream) methods as
> there are valid use cases for them.

Perhaps a better way to state this just occurred to me and I thought
I'd take one more shot at it:

One of the great features of streams is that they allow data flow to
exist and be passed around independently of your control flow.  By
limiting their use inside of blocks (i.e. essentially attempting to
mandate that they be inside the control flow), you are eliminating
entire classes of utility for them and effectively deprecate the use of
files in those cases if you are successful.  If you are not, you have
these made private* methods defacto public or necessitated the use of
some anti-patterns to undo the damage.

Lisp has long had a similar solution to the 'forgot to close the file'
problem in the form of the with-open-file macro.  It is quite useful
*for the use cases in which it makes sense* but it does not attempt to
eliminate the standalone use of file handles in all situations.

Making these methods private seems like a very bad idea to me...

Thanks,
Phil