[Cuis-dev] FileMan and FileStream?

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sat Dec 19 06:26:33 CST 2015

On 19/12/2015 01:33 a.m., Phil (list) via Cuis-dev wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-12-18 at 19:18 -0800, KenD wrote:
>> On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 22:06:07 -0500
>> "Phil (list)"<pbpublist at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> I could do something like that which will of course end up
>>> resulting in
>>> my creating helper methods that look suspiciously, exactly, like
>>> private*Stream.  The main argument I'm making is that accessing
>>> files
>>> via streams (which get passed around *a lot*... typically only a
>>> bit of
>>> top level code even knows or cares if it is a file) is a pretty
>>> common
>>> use case so why not just acknowledge it and make them public in
>>> name
>>> and usage?
>> FileMan is using what I would call a functional style which ensures
>> that a stream is closed.
>> -------------------------------
>> writeStream: blockWithArg
>>      "If the file already exists raise FileExistsException.
>>       Creates the directory if it doesn't exist."
>>      | stream |
>>      stream := self privateWriteStream.
>>      [ blockWithArg value: stream ]
>> 	ensure: [ stream ifNotNil: [ :s | s close ]]
>> -------------------------------
>>
>> Passing in a block which takes a stream argument is a natural style.
>>
>> Forgetting to close a stream is also, IMHO, natural.
>>
>> Don't use private* and you don't have the problem to worry about.
>>
>> It has been designed out.
>>
>> I think we should remove the bulk of the private*Stream uses.
>>
> That argument is fine if you are writing file-centric code.  I'm
> talking about stream-centric code where one or more of your streams
> could trivially be (up until this change) file-backed.

But if they were files, they would need to be closed, right? So your
stream-centric code needs to know about the differences between file
streams and other streams.

I'm pretty sure you don't agree with this. So:

Can you point to a specific example? Discussion will get much easier then.

> Turning things
> inside out is far from convenient or even desirable (and possibly in
> some cases nearly impossible without convolution of the control flow)
> when what you really need are streams and are prepared to deal with
> them as such.
>
> I'm not arguing against the *Stream: methods as they are a better
> solution for the use cases in which they make sense.  It even makes
> sense to point people to them for many/most situations.  I am arguing
> for public *Stream (i.e. currently named private*Stream) methods as
> there are valid use cases for them.

Ok. Please point to an example (include the code in the email if needed)
and let's take it from there.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich